Hello Gardeners, I have been experimenting with the Smart Pot container for the past two seasons and am pleased to say they work exactly like they are suppose too. They are inexpensive, simple to use, come in a variety of sizes and offer many benefits over a traditional plastic or ceramic container. Before we get to the benefits however, lets talk a little about just what these helpful little containers are exactly.
The Smart Pot patented aeration container is a soft-sided, fabric container designed for the gardener who wants to grow the best possible plant. It comes in either tan or black, with or without handles and it is good for all types of plants including vegetables, annuals, perennials, portable plants, trees and even hydroponic plants. As an aeration container, it has the unique ability to air-prune and enhance a plant’s root structure. A highly branched, fibrous root structure is the key to growing a better plant – with more flowers and fruits, and more resistance to insects and diseases. It has the rigidity to hold its shape and comes in a number of different sizes included 1-gal, 2-gal, 3-gal, 5-gal, 7 gal, 10 gal, 20-gal, 30-gal, 65-gal, 200-gal, and even a monstrous 400-gallon size! To make things even better, the Smart Pot is reusable, biodegradable and 100% made in America! In my opinion, and many others, this new and unique advancement in container tech is better than any other method of container gardening.
Now that we know what the Smart Pot is let's talk about the benefits that make it the best option for container gardening...
- Aeration of the root zone: The Smart Pot being made of a fabric material allows air to pass in and out of the soil supplying your plants root system with highly valuable oxygen. This aeration effect allows for more benefits as well, through air-pruning of the root structure and the easy release of summer heat.
- Air-Pruning the root structure: Roots grown in a Smart Pot come in contact with the fuzzy, fabric inner wall of the bag and penetrate or grow into the fabric. The bag's inner fabric however is just tough enough to prevent the root's continued longitudinal growth, in effect pruning it, thus causing the root system to develop masses of lateral fibrous roots. This effect is highly beneficial resulting in root systems with much greater mass or volume then compared with a traditional plastic container.
- Stops Root Circling: An additional benefit of the air-pruning that the Smart Pot provides is the halt of root circling. In a traditional plastic container roots cannot penetrate the side wall or receive any oxygen causing the roots to continuously circle around the container in search of a better environment. Eventually this will cause your plants roots to strangle themselves and to focus all of its energy on growing a tap root. This action is not ideal for your plants health and can greatly decrease a plants ability to be safely transplanted.
- Releases Heat: The Smart Pot's black fabric quickly warms up early season soil enabling plants to get off to a quicker start. Yet the same fabric, due to its porous nature, allows heat to escape from the container through evaporative cooling during the summer's hottest days.
- Easy Mobility: You can get Smart Pots without or with built in handles for easy mobility.
- Hydroponic Use: A great option for a hydroponic container as well because the fabric material allows water to pass through the container bottom and walls as well as to drain freely while holding in all of your growing media of choice.
Additionally Smart Pots will not break or crack during excessive cold or hot temperatures or when dropped onto a concrete surface. Not to mention they are extremely lightweight and can be easily folded up flat at the end of the season for storage that won't take up any space compared to bulky plastic or terra-cotta containers. Speaking of the end of the season, to wash out your Smart Pot simple dump out its contents, let it dry out over night and dry brush away any left over dirt that might be stuck to the sides. If you feel the need to disinfect your Smart Pots simply through them in the washing machine with hot water and a few drops of detergent. Do not place them in the dryer however as an air dry should be sufficient. Now your Smart Pots are all ready to be used again next season and you won't have to feel guilty about dumping those old style plastic containers in the landfill!
I think that just about sums up the basics of why the Smart Pot is a smart choice for any gardener who wants a simple, more effective and cost efficient container to help their plants reach there maximum potential! Any questions? feel free to stop on by Victory Hydro Gardening store front and check one out for yourself. You might just decide to take one home, with prices ranging from only $3.50 to $11.95 for a 20 gallon container you can't help but make the smart choice!
Happy Container Gardening!